Stay-At-Home-Mom Update

I'm actually not really sure what to call myself. Am I really a stay at home mom? I typically work one day each week. So does that make me a part time working mom? I don't really know what label to use, but I am home a vast majority of the time, so for this post we'll say "stay at home mom." 

It's been two whole months since I stopped working full time and changed to "prn" status at the hospital. So how's everything been going since then? Let me tell ya!

Overall it's been great! After just one week into staying home, I instantly felt my energy level skyrocket. I wasn't as exhausted in the mornings if my kids woke up early. My house was cleaner. I didn't feel like I needed to pass out as soon as the kids went to bed.

We've enjoyed more morning outings that we weren't able to before because I was either working or too tired. We've gone to the park, met friends at the Botanical Garden, gone swimming. I also feel like we do more with friends and family on the weekends such as swimming, having cook outs, going to the zoo or to the fair. Before I would avoid scheduling things on the weekends, or even on my off days, because I'd be exhausted and would want to sit at home all day to "recharge."
We had a great trip to the Nashville Zoo with friends this weekend!
Goofy little toddlers! These guys are right at a month apart.

We got to spend time with Aunt Lindsey (David's sister) and Uncle Brian this past week! I wish we saw them more!
I also had the opportunity to help with Vacation Bible School at church. If I had to work, I probably would not have been able to do this. Also, we would not have been able to do swim lessons (at least not as many sessions) if I were still full time. I am so grateful that we were able to do them this year. While Raley is still not swimming on her own, she is much  more comfortable in the water than she was at the beginning of the summer. Audrey is a natural in the water, she just needs a little more practice flipping onto her back!
Finally getting more relaxed and comfortable floating
Something else I try and work into our time at home is "quiet play time." We will sit down either in the living room or at the kitchen table and do something quiet and educational/creative. I love to see them learn and I love to see their imaginations at work. We have a book called Lola the Lollypop Fairy, which is a sticker book where you dress up the fairies on each page. She will sit and play with that for an hour and she's so proud of her creation when she gets done! She's also become interested in writing her letters so I found some flash cards and a dry erase book (Target Dollar Spot section) that we work on sometimes. During this time Audrey likes to color, do puzzles, or point out different items or animals in books.
Don't get me wrong though - not every day is cupcakes and rainbows. There are days when they wake up fussy and cranky and just tend to push my buttons all day long. We've had a couple of those lately. Days when I feel like I'm wasting my breath because no one is listening. Days when I feel like all I do is nag. Days when I get so tired of Raley saying "but first let me do this" or "nooo but I want to do this" when I tell her to do something.

Yesterday was one of these days. One of those days when it's 3:30 in the afternoon and you're ready to crawl in bed and call it a night. It was one of those you hear about when people say "the days are long but the years are short." And that's exactly what I try to tell myself. I have to try not to get too worked up. Don't explode, just breath, don't yell, walk away.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'll take days like that over working any day. Today has been a much better day, thank goodness! They have listened well today. We swam at my parents' house after lunch for a little bit and Raley actually worked with me on things that she's been learning in swim lessons. Audrey is my little fish and kept throwing herself backward with her puddle jumper on in a back float position and laughing every time her ears would get in the water. And thank goodness for my sanity, they are both napping!

All-in-all, this "stay at home mom" thing is pretty awesome! This has been my dream since Raley was born, to get to stay home and spend time with my kids as they grow up. I am so very thankful for this opportunity and am trying to make the most of it and not take it for granted.

Thanks for everyone's support! If anyone has any suggestions of new fun things we can get out and do before summer is over, please let me know! We haven't tried Early Works yet, so that is on our list. Have a great rest of the week!

You may also like:
The Instagram Post That Changed My Life
10 Things I Tell My Children Every Day
These Are The Good Old Days


Let's get social!

Labels: , , , , , ,